Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Copyrights

The thing that surprised me was that teachers have to ask the technology person in the school to film/record something, the teacher wants to use in the classroom he/she cannot do it themselves.  With technology today, I would think that teachers would be able to get the film or record something on their own.
The ways I have observed copyright laws being violated in schools are teachers making copies of worksheets for the students to use for extra practice, so they do not have to buy workbooks or all the students.  Another way I have observed copyright laws being violated in schools is when teachers show students a film before break or after a major exam. 
The ways I have observed copyright laws being violated outside of school is the downloading of music and videos without buying them. There are different web sites that actually promote downloading music and videos illegally.  Even on city streets people sell bootlegged DVD's.
I believe it is my job to teach copyright respect to my students by just letting them know the very basic copyright laws.  I can do his when the students are working on a video project and they decide to use music they downloaded to itunes that they did not buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment